Pages

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

World Beard and Moustache Championships

My college friend Brielle from drove up from Valdez this weekend. On Saturday we attended the World Beard and Moustache Championships.

The annual event is hosted in locations worldwide, but this year downtown Anchorage's new Dena'ina Convention Center was selected for the festivities. I had no idea what to expect when Brielle and I parked our matching Subaru's (her's is red) across the street from each other on F Street.

The day brought bagpipes, a bearded band and moustached men from as far as Germany, Sweden and New Zealand trotting down a runway to show off their stylized facial hair. There were costumes: Matador to Moses, urban kilts to the robes of a monk. The events were divided by categories: moustache, partial beard and full beard. And then into categories: English, Dahli, freestyle, etc.

Overall the day was bizarre and fascinating.Check out more of the event in this ADN.com photo slideshow.

3 comments:

  1. Oh wow! I was gawking at photos from this yesterday; how awesome to be there. With a loose definition of "awesome" of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it was really something! Too bad my photos are kind of lame. My camera battery died right after a lady scolded me for stepping in the aisle of the restricted area.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Annie! I posted my photos on my blog- check it at http://lastfrontierfashion.blogspot.com/.

    woot!

    heart you!

    p.s. vould you send me the photo of us w/our staches?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...