Pages

Saturday, March 21, 2009

The Iditarod

As it turned out the ceremonial start to the Iditarod ran right past my place. When the festivities began earlier this month my folks were in town for a visit -- and for my dad a business trip. So we stood in the chilly sun to watch them run by on my snow-paved street. Then we ran around to some other Iditarod festivities. Here's some highlights.

Dogs pause while they wait for the musher to untangle one of the lead dogs who got caught up.

A snow-sculpute contest proved to be more artistic that I expected.

Alaskan vendors brought out their finest furs.

A local brewery hosted an ice-bowling championship.

I got to take my very only sled ride (my mom did, too). During the loop, the musher who stood on the back of the sled told me how he's grown up raising sled dogs with his entire family. He has entering his first junior level race this fall.

And of course we sampled some local Alaskan ales.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...